2016 Northern Ontario Country Music Awards Weekend
The 2016 Annual Northern Ontario Country Music Awards Weekend was held on the Weekend of Friday November 4th, to Sunday November 6th at the Quattro Hotel & Conference Centre in Sault Ste. Marie, Ont. We hosted people from all over Northern Ontario and beyond.
All weekend events were held at the Quattro Hotel and Conference Centre on Great Northern Rd.
The weekend kicked off with a "Great Northern Opry Show and Dance" on Friday November 4, featuring Yvan Nadeau & The Bandidos from Timmins Ontario. The Bandidos had a number of guests come up and join them on stage over the evening. A special award was handed out to young Briana Nadeau during the show for her singing and work during Journée Internationale de la Femme Francophone (International Francophone Women's Day). Brianna came up on stage to receive her award and to sing a couple of songs with her father, Yvan Nadeau. See photos from this show
Two events were held on Saturday evening, Nov 5, running back to back.
The first was "The Northern Ontario Country Music Awards Show". Music for the show was provided by White Stallion and Friends, who also accompanied music performed by nine inductees into the Great Northern Opry and one inductee into the Northern Ontario Country Music Hall of Fame. The award show was a sold out show with over 400 people in attendance.
The nine Inductees into The Great Northern Opry this year were:
- Terry Little - Parry Sound, Parry Sound District
- Don Delorme - North Bay, Nipissing District
- Robbie Shawana - Manitowaning, Manitoulin District
- Marcel Goselin - Timmins, Cochrane District
- Robert Marin - Timmins, Cochrane District
- Dennis Jacques - Blind River, Algoma District
- Hugh Allan - Sault Ste. Marie, Algoma District
- Fred Pelletier - Sault Ste. Marie, Algoma District
- Gord Gibson - Sudbury, Sudbury District
The 2016 Northern Ontario Country Music Hall of Fame Inductee was George Pinder from Sault Ste. Marie, Algoma District.
Other awards handed out during the evening included:
- The Carol Patterson Award - presented to Glen and Beth McDougall, Yvan and Linda Nadeau, and Frank and Cheryl Robbins for their continuing support of the NOCMA as district representatives.
- The Barb Arnill Award - presented to Margo and Rick Dale. Margo and Rick are the people that you see at the door handling tickets and merchandise at Sault Ste. Marie shows.
- The Bill Haight Award - presented to Jack Bringleson and Scott Infanti
- The Mike Case Memorial Award - made possible by Mike Davies "Bach to Rock" Music School, The White Stallion Band, and the NOCMA. This years recipient was Ashton Mowbray (shown in photo).
The second show of Saturday evening was another "Great Northern Opry Show and Dance", featuring Back in Tyme from North Bay, Ontario with special guests. The dance floor was overflowing for most of the night as many people took advantage of the extra hour available due to the time change. See Photos from the show
The weekend wound up with "Scott Infanti's Great Northern Opry Annual Country Gospel Show" on Sunday morning, from 10:00 am until Noon. This show featured Lise White and George Pinder. See Photos from the show
THE NOCMA COUNTRY MUSIC AWARDS WEEKEND IS NORTHERN ONTARIO'S OLDEST ANNUAL COUNTRY MUSIC EVENT!
Visit our photo and video galleries from the 2015 Weekend events.
To get news as it is released, please Sign up to be a member of the NOCMA and you will receive occasional email newsletters containing information about upcoming events.